Armed robbery           

Police responded at 8:21 a.m. Monday, Feb. 20, to a 911 call from a clerk at a store in the 200 block of Broadway Avenue East, reporting a man had just robbed the store by threatening he had a gun and demanding money out of the register. The suspect was last seen walking southbound on Broadway.

Several police units responded and began checking for the suspect in nearby areas, including Cal Anderson Park, light rail stations, bus stops and alleys, but were unsuccessful.

The clerk told officers he was working at the front checkout counter at about 8:15 a.m., when the suspect entered the store and began walking the aisles. The suspect eventually approached the counter holding a box of Hot Tamales. As he was ringing him up, the suspect said, “Give me the money.” When the clerk questioned him, the suspect said he had a gun while putting his hand in his right pocket. The clerk opened the register and handed over $78 dollars.

The clerk first called his manager and then 911.


A man called 911 at 12:27 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 19, after being robbed in a parking lot in the 1400 block of East John Street.

The victim said he’d made a deal with somebody he met on the marketplace section of Facebook to meet up in this parking lot to sell his old laptop for $700. When the suspect pulled up, his girlfriend handed the victim seven $100 bills. The victim immediately noticed the bills were fake. Before he could say anything, the woman grabbed the laptop from the victim’s hands and the car sped off. The force of the woman grabbing the laptop while the car sped off caused the victim to fall over. The suspect almost hit an elderly woman while speeding out of the parking lot.

Responding officers checked the suspect’s Facebook page and ran his name, finding he had a long rap sheet.

Old friend           

Police responded at 1:25 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, to a 911 call from a bus stop in the 400 block of Broadway Avenue East.

The 911 caller told police he’d been the victim of harassment by a former acquaintance. He said he was waiting for the bus when a man he used to do drugs with approached and asked him for a cigarette. At that moment the victim had a cigarette in his mouth he was about to light. The victim told the suspect no, and the suspect tried to take the cigarette out of his mouth. When that failed he tried to take a pack of cigarettes out of the victim’s hand. The victim dodged the suspect’s attempts and then pulled a pocket knife, which he held between himself and the suspect until he left.

Eye witnesses

While sitting at a traffic light at 1:20 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, two police officers witnessed an assault on the corner of East Pine Street and 11th Avenue East.

A group of four men were beating up on another man. The victim was knocked to the ground by a punch, and the suspects continued punching and kicking him in the upper body and head. One suspect was observed stomping on the victim’s head, causing it to swing backward and strike the ground.

The suspects ran off when officers approached the scene, however, the suspect who was observed stomping on the victim’s head was later found and arrested. Officers observed blood on the sole of his right shoe, which he tried to rub off on the ground after it was pointed out.

The victim and his friend said the suspects targeted him because his friend was involved in an altercation over a woman with the suspects inside a club earlier.

The victim’s friend said he’d been talking to a woman when he was unexpectedly punched in the side of the face by one of the suspects. The suspect continued hitting him until he fought back, putting the suspect in a head lock. The suspect then started gouging the victim’s eyes until club security came and separated the two. The suspect that was arrested was booked into King County Jail for assault.

Caught red-handed           

The owner of a business in the 700 block of East Pike Street called 911 at 3:42 a.m. Monday, Feb. 13, after responding to the store for an alarm call and finding a burglar still inside. He said he’d opened the front door and heard banging coming from the part of the business where the safes are stored.

While waiting for police to arrive, the victim saw the suspect exit the business. He followed the suspect until officers arrived and arrested him.

The suspect denied breaking into the business, saying he’d been in the area shopping for steaks. Several checks with the business’ and employees’ names were found in his pockets during a search. Also found in his pockets was $100 in cash that appeared to have been stolen from the business. He was arrested for felony burglary.

A back window was broken and the back door was open. Two of the three safes had been pried open. A tablet was also missing, but the suspect wasn’t in possession of that when he was stopped.

The suspect used tools he found inside the building to pry the safes open, which included two hammers and a screwdriver; a similar screwdriver was found on the suspect’s person when he was patted down. Aside from the safes, a filing cabinet was ransacked and a bag was rifled through and left hanging from a shelf.