Caught on camera         

Police responded at 1:28 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3, to an apartment building in the 500 block of Harvard Avenue East to investigate mail theft.

The building manager had surveillance video of a suspect coming in and leaving through the building’s lobby. The suspect took several packages from the mailroom into the stairwell, where he opened them and discarded several. He stole one item, a laptop.

The building is secured-entry, so the manager said he would check to see if there is a pattern of someone buzzing in unknown people.

Mysterious burglary           

Police responded at 12:46 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 2, to a burglary at an apartment in the 2200 block of East Olive Street. The victim said the burglary happened between 9:30 and 11:45 a.m.

A Ziploc bag containing three rings was taken from the nightstand next to the victim’s bed. The nightstand had been slid away from the wall, and a bandage was left on the nightstand; the victim said it wasn’t his. Nothing else was missing from the apartment.

The stolen rings were a men’s platinum ring, a women’s platinum and diamond engagement and wedding band set. The rings were valued at $10,400.        

The victim said he locked his door when he left and it was locked when he returned. The apartment is on the third floor, so the burglar likely used the front door. There were no pry marks or signs of forced entry to the front door, but the victim said he’d easily used a credit card to unlock his apartment door before.

Bad drug deal           

Police responded at 12:48 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 2, to a robbery near the intersection of Melrose Avenue and Minor Avenue.

The victim said he and a friend had been standing at the bus stop on East Pike Street when three men approached and asked if they wanted to buy some meth. The victim asked the suspects if they wanted to trade their meth for some of his prescription drugs. He pulled his phone out to show the suspects what his prescription was for, and one of the suspects took his phone. When he asked for it back the suspect punched him in the face, knocking him over. The suspects punched his friend too, then left the area. 

The victim walked to the intersection of Melrose Avenue and Minor Avenue, where someone let him borrow their phone to call 911. He said his friend has a warrant and didn’t want to talk to the police, so he left.

Show your selfie

A Seattle Police officer used a selfie and the threat of arrest to peacefully resolve a dispute between a ride-share driver and a visiting California woman he allegedly attempted to extort money from in return for her phone.

Police report a DUI traffic officer was approached by a distraught woman around 2 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 12, near Boylston Avenue and East Pine Street. She said she had left her purse and wallet inside a ride-share car, and called the driver about getting them back. She said she’d offered to pay an additional fare for the driver to return her purse, but he demanded more money.

After the officer was unable reach the ride-share driver by phone, he sent him a text informing his he could face arrest and the impoundment of his vehicle. He also added a selfie for confirmation he is a Seattle Police officer.

The driver called back. When he returned, he told the officer he had been busy with other fares.

Because the woman had an early flight home to California, police report the case could not be pursued further. The driver was identified, and the case remains open.