Every few weeks my inner circle of friends will get together for a potluck dinner. As a starting point, we pick a theme, like tacos or breakfast, and then contribute accordingly. Last week the theme was “P.” That’s it. Yep. So I brought Pesto penne pasta with pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Yeah, I nailed it. And it tasted awesome, too.
This is a good side dish, but also works as an entrée with the right type of pasta (think gnocci), or additions (think cherry tomatoes or artichokes).
- Pasta, enough for 8 people
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Optional: Cherry tomatoes
- 1. In a medium saucepan, boil water. Add pasta and cook until al dente, then drain and set aside. (If using cherry tomatoes, cook in the hot water for 1-2 minutes.).
- 2. Using a blender, blend basil, almonds, garlic, and olive oil until smooth and liquid.
- 3. Toss pasta and pesto sauce until pasta is coated. Add pine nuts and parmesan (and cherry tomatoes).