If you’re the type of person who doesn’t particularly like sweet things, this is for you. It also means that we have nothing in common. I guess that I’d call it a dessert because it is sweet and shaped like a cake, but it’s not really. Not more than an apple, anyway, which is basically what this dish is – sweet apple slices hugged together by an egg, vanilla, and flour, making it an easy transport from your fork to your mouth.
Guilt free, you can eat this for breakfast, snack, whatever. Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream or Nutella, a sprinkle of powdered sugar or cinnamon, and we’re back to having everything in common.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large apples, peeled and chopped (I used sweet Fujis)
- Cinnamon, to finish
- Powdered sugar, to finish
- 1. In a medium bowl, mix eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and flour on high speed until evenly combined and smooth.
- 2. Grease or use parchment paper to coat a round, 9” baking pan. Add apple slices. Then top evenly with batter. Let batter fall to bottom of dish.
- 3. Bake at 350º F for about 50 minutes, until batter is set and top apples have golden edges.
- 4. Remove from pan (flip onto surface, than re-flip onto serving plate), and sprinkle with cinnamon and powdered sugar. Serve hot or cold.