I’m in a book club. Sort of. Over the years we’ve started to function more as a brunch-and-picnic club, but we don’t tell people that because a book club sounds more sophisticated. At both ends of the spectrum, the meetups require good food, and oftentimes that includes banana bread.
This recipe is the loaf that we subscribe to, and is extra moist and good because applesauce is used instead of eggs.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
- Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat together softened butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple sauce. Add mashed bananas.
- 3. Combine dry to wet ingredients.
- 4. Pour batter into a greased 9x5x3” loaf pan and bake at 350º F for 50-60 minutes or until you can insert a knife into the center and have it come out clean.