by Nicole Lisson
- The Capitol Hill Times -
Maybe it doesn’t look appetizing. It doesn’t, I know. But it tastes too good not to share.
The chocolate madness continues this week with Chocolate Crumble Strawberry Bars – a rich chocolate shortbread crust that’s dolloped with strawberry jam and baked for 30 minutes. These bars are whipped up in a food processor, making them a minimum-effort dessert with maximum good taste.
Since the chocolate is the star, try to use high-grade coca powder for more oomph.
And, in a perfect world, these bars will be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s any chocolate-lover’s dream.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- 3 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1. Line an 8-inch baking pan with foil and set aside.
- 2. In food processor bowl, combine unsalted butter, sugar, flour, and coca powder. Pulse until combined. Mix in egg and egg yolk.
- 3. Press half of mixture into the pan. Spread half of strawberry jam on top.
- 4. Crumble remaining mixture over jam layer, then drop spoonfuls of remaining jam on crumble layer. Bake at 350º F for 15 minutes.