by Gina Luna
- The Capitol Hill Times -
It makes me happy when I can recreate at home something amazing that I’ve eaten a restaurant. For less money. Often, it tastes better, too.
And I know, I know, I know that this caprese salad seems so basic. But one changed ingredient can take the whole thing from good to holy-s***-this-is-so-good-I-need-to-close-my-eyes-and-concentrate-on-the-taste-for-a-minute-we-can-talk-later good. For this recipe, it’s the lemon-flavored olive oil. Buy a small bottle; it’s worth it. The fresh ingredients and flakes of sea salt as opposed to the usual table salt help, too.
Then make and eat this salad, and share it with friends. This is one of those recipes like pizza; everybody likes it.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup small mozzarella balls
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon-flavored olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh Basil, torn or chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a large spoon or spatula until evenly mixed. Transfer to a medium serving bowl or serve as is.