Gastro 101: Golden trio coconut soup
12:01 am October 3rd, 2013
by Nicole Lisson
- The Capitol Hill Times -
Nicole Lisson / The Capitol Hill Times
I am crazy obsessed with making soup once the weather dips below 60 degrees. And it’s probably why I’m bikini ready once summer rolls around, since I have been on a liquid diet for eight months. I’m kidding. Sort of. Jokes aside, though, there’s nothing that spells comfort more than a hot bowl of soup. Also, it’s a great way to clean out your fridge. This “Golden Trio Coconut Soup” has butternut squash, sweet potato and pumpkin, and is finished off with coconut milk – making it dairy free and vegan. If you don’t have coconut oil, olive oil is a good substitute.
Golden Trio Coconut Soup
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin purée, canned or fresh
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
- 2. On a large baking sheet, toss chucks of sweet potato and butternut squash with coconut oil, cinnamon and smoked paprika. Bake for 35 minutes.
- 3. In a large pot, sauté onions until translucent.
- 4. Transfer roasted sweet potato and butternut squash into pot, then add pumpkin puree, chicken broth, curry powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 5. Remove pot from burner, then puree soup until creamy.
- 6. Returning soup to stovetop and cooking on low heat, stir in coconut milk, then serve warm.
The Capitol Hill Times http://www.capitolhilltimes.com/