Gastro 101: Cheesy mushroom and leek galette
12:03 am October 10th, 2013
by Nicole Lisson
- The Capitol Hill Times -
Nicole Lisson / The Capitol Hill Times
Get ready, pie season officially starts on November 1! Between Christmas and Thanksgiving, your forearms are going to get a workout – unless, of course, you’re like me and take the quickie route.
Store-bought piecrusts have come a long way since the old days and, honestly, nobody notices the difference. But if you want to go full-on homemade with your crusts, galettes are a great way to log practice hours.
Essentially a rustic pie, gallettes can be either savory or sweet. The following recipe incorporates mushrooms, leeks and sharp white cheddar. It’s an easy, delicious dish to kick off the holiday season, which, like it or not, is upon us.
Cheesy mushroom and leek galette
- 1 9-inch piecrust, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups leeks, sliced
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup sharp white cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Mix in mushrooms, and increase heat to medium-high until liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- 2. Whisk together egg, Greek yogurt and sharp white cheddar in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Combine leek and egg mixtures.
- 4. Place rolled out pie crust onto greased baking sheet. Top with filling, spreading evenly over the dough, but leaving a 2-inch border around outside. Fold border up and over filling’s outer edge.
- 5. Bake galette at 400º F for 25 to 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Gallette can be served hot or at room temperature.
The Capitol Hill Times http://www.capitolhilltimes.com/