Gastro 101: Apple pie muffins
12:03 am October 17th, 2013
by Nicole Lisson
- The Capitol Hill Times -
Nicole Lisson / The Capitol Hill Times
Since it is pie season, it’s only appropriate to give you a recipe for pie-like muffins. If you have been practicing rolling out crusts, your forearms are likely begging for relief. Let these muffins be your escape. They taste like an apple pie minus the hard work. Another bonus is that they’re relatively healthy; the yogurt and applesauce provide moisture without added fat. Can I get a “heck yes”? I’ll be enjoying these muffins with a cup of coffee and a rare moment of silence before my day begins.
Apple pie muffins
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup apple pie filling
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and nutmeg Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, sugars, yogurt, applesauce, eggs, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- 3. Fold wet mixture into flours until just combined. Gently fold in apple pie filling.
- 4. Spoon batter into 12 muffin tins (to the very top). Bake at 425º F for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375º F and continue to bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
The Capitol Hill Times http://www.capitolhilltimes.com/