Gastro 101: Zuchinni fries
12:02 am September 12th, 2013
by Nicole Lisson
- The Capitol Hill Times -
Nicole Lisson / The Capitol Hill Times
My neighbor gave me an overabundance of zucchini from her garden last week, which presented me with a bit of a challenge. While I love zucchini, I get bored of it quickly. There is only so much playing around recipe-wise that you can do with it. So, imagine my delight when I discovered that zucchinis can be cooked into fries. No – I’ll stop you before you even start – zucchini fries don’t taste like a deep fried potato, but they are on par and healthier. What follows is a simple appetizer that even kids will love.
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 3-inch sticks
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose Greek seasoning
- 1 tablespoon powered Parmesan
- Dash of pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
- 2. Fit a cooling rack over a baking rack, and set aside (when in the oven, using the cooling rack allows the zucchini fries to become crispy on all sides).
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk together.
- 4. In a separate bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, Greek seasoning and Parmesan.
- 5. Dip zucchini sticks into egg mixture, then roll in breadcrumb mixture.
- 6. Place zucchini fries on cooling rack (which is on top of the baking sheet), and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until golden brown.
The Capitol Hill Times http://www.capitolhilltimes.com/