Gastro 101: Grilled Polenta Cakes
12:05 am August 15th, 2013
by Nicole Lisson
- The Capitol Hill Times -
Nicole Lisson / The Capitol Hill Times
Polenta was the bane of my existence for a number of years. It always felt too heavy and or had no taste. That was until I discovered the true potential of polenta. It is a blank slate for a wide variety of toppings like mozzarella and tomato sauce. My preferred method is to grill the polenta so that it gets crispy on the outside. These Grilled Polenta Cakes with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella are the perfect appetizers for parties. They are simple to make, beautifully presented, and most importantly delicious. Enjoy!
Grilled Polenta Cakes with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
- 1 tube of polenta, cut into ½ -inch slices
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 balls of fresh mozzarella cut into ½ inch slices
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- Brush polenta rounds with olive oil, and set aside.
- Heat grill to high and lay polenta rounds on the grill in one layer for 8 to10 minutes per side.
- Remove the polenta cakes from the grill and set them on a baking sheet.
- Before you are ready to serve, turn your oven on to broil. Top polenta with tomato puree and mozzarella. Broil until cheese is melted. Top with basil and serve warm.
The Capitol Hill Times http://www.capitolhilltimes.com/